This is the really great thing about beginning this blog -- I have discovered a new (for me) procrastination device.
In the past, when I had essays to grade, as I have now, I could turn to deadheading, then fertilizing, then snailbating, before grading. By the time I had responded to every garden need, it would likely be time to pick up the kids from school. Procrastination mission accomplished.
But now that my kids can drive their own selves home from school, it turns out I need a new device. I can only garden so long without looking like a fool.
Ergo, I am here, typing this, rather than grading.
Why put off the reading and responding to 45 essays? Because I cannot just grade them, or even correct them, both of which are easy enough. I have to RESPOND to them. Some days I feel about this the same way a shy person feels at a party. I just don't want to try to interact in that way.
I know it is important to hear and to respond to what my students have to say, before I can respond to how they say it. But it is just so much harder to deal with their content. Sometimes, they have precious little to say and it is hard to be positive about their thinking.
And that is why I drag my feet. That is why I've typed these words. (After having handwatered the beds rather than turning on the soaker hose.)
Enough of that. Back to the essays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment